Beans and Greens Soup courtesy of Pepperplate & Food52.com
1 pound dried northern white beans, soaked overnight in water to cover
1 pound Sweet Italian sausage baked at 350F for 30 minutes
1 cup sliced leeks
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 cups chicken broth
8 cups chopped greens (kale, spinach, collards - your choice)
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced in 3/4 inch cubes
salt and black pepper to taste
1. Cook the soaked beans in water for 40 to 50 minutes until tender, reserving one cup of the cooking liquid. Set aside.
2. In a large soup pot saute the leeks, crushed red pepper and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
3. Slice the baked Italian sausage in 1/2 inch rounds and add to the pot. Saute for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth, the reserved bean broth and the potatoes. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Add the greens and the cooked beans, bring back to the boil and simmer until the greens have wilted.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Dr. John Peoples
Board Certified Pediatrician
What do you think?
COPA wants to exceed your expectations as the families and caregivers of the children we serve. We appreciate any feedback you can provide on how we're doing and how we can improve.